Monday, April 12, 2010

And I Live To Tell

I guess the only thing more daunting than taking a newborn on an airplane for the first time is...ummm...NOTHING. Though it took some convincing, convince me she did, to join her and my sister for a mini vacation in Hilo. My Mom even offered to pay for one leg of the journey, being that this week was the Merrie Monarch hula festival, and all flights to Hilo were double expensive. On Tuesday afternoon we booked, and on Wednesday morning we flew. No time time think about it. Much better that way.

We lucked out on our way to Hilo and I was able to fly with them, even though my reservation was for an earlier flight. And I even got a seat next to my sister, which would make the whole nursing on the plane thing a bit more comfortable. At the gate in Honolulu, I ran into a friend/producer/musician (who shall remain nameless) whom I have worked with in studio over the past couple of years. His wife recently had a baby...

And this is how I ended up talking breast pumps. With a dude. In public. Within earshot of other dudes.

It went something like, "Hey long time no see, so are you breast feeding?" And I was like, "Yes and no, I need to express my milk to keep up with his appetite." And he was like, "What kind of pump are you using. Is it 'meh' something? That's what my wife used." "Medela? No, I use a manual pump. Helps to strengthen my grip at the same time..."

Okay I didn't say that thing about the grip. Only in my head.

And this is not the first time I've had this conversation with a guy. It just so happens that I know more guys that girls who have recently become parents. And this is what parents with newborns talk about I guess.

Oh, Hilo. Right. It was beautiful as it always is. And buzzing with anticipation for the Festival. We stopped in at the makeshift Kealopiko boutique on Bay Front. Had some bowls at the `awa bar. Met up with family outside the Salvation Army after scoring some outfits for Sebastien. Oogled the plywood ceiling at the Sig Zane boutique. It was fun and tiring. A test of his tolerance for my meanderings.

Jamie & Hina & Sebastien at the Kealopiko boutique
He doesn't mind, I swear

I've come to appreciate the coordination it takes to travel with little ones. The never ending and ever challenging juggle of feedings, diaperings, burpings, nappings, and in and out of the car-seatings when you're on the move, all while trying to enjoy yourself and not ruin the vacation part of the vacation for your fellow travelers because these airline tickets cost an arm and a leg dammit! And you WILL enjoy this if it KILLS you!!! At times I felt like a 2-ton ball and chain packing a stroller. But my family was gracious, always helpful, and never once complained about the drag.

My Sis accepting award for Best Aunty

The following and final day of the trip went much the same, and before I knew it I was back at the airport, on my way home. Only this time I was flying solo - with Sebastien. With diaper bag on one shoulder, tired squawky and squirmy on the other, boarding pass and ID between my teeth, warm bottle at the ready, we made it to the gate just in time for pre-boarding. All without ruining my 1 hour old pedicure at security.


1 comment:

  1. You are a champion mother! Props to not ruining your pedi! :) Glad you've had a good time, and I'm sure your family didn't (doesn't) mind at all 'cause they love you... and Sebastian! :)

    ReplyDelete